Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nursing Strike-Almost a whole week

So tomorrow morning makes it officially 1 week. I'm finally feeling like myself and not so devastated every time she rejects nursing. I still have no idea if she'll go back to it. Although today when I was pumping she was sort of hanging out near me and I put on the nipple shield and offered it to her and surprisingly she opened up and put it in her mouth and....bit down super hard. OUCH! I didn't yelp or anything but sure wanted to. She almost drew blood. However I still see that as an improvement that she even allowed it in her mouth. I tried again after that and she put it in her a mouth a few more times but only to bite, no sucking whatsoever. After that she kept shaking her head no if I'd say, "Elly, do you want some milky?"
I rocked her to sleep tonight and tried putting the shield in her mouth after she was asleep but she pursed her lips and shook her head no, what a stubborn little booger :)
I'm almost curious to wait this out and see what happens and then part of me is ready to be done with it. It's a tough decision and one I guess I won't make quite yet. Still pumping and up to about 17oz a day.

2 comments:

  1. What a tough situation! I remember Marina up and quit nursing when she was about 6 months old because she got 4 teeth in all at once. Of course, I was 17 and away from home and support, so I just let her stop.

    My Mom said that I went on what (if I am remembering right) was a one week nursing strike when I was about Ellie's age. Apparently there was no reason for it at all, I was just being a boogerhead.

    It sounds like you are trying everything possible and I totally admire your tenacity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Lucy

    http://maternitymotherhood.net

    ReplyDelete