Tuesday, December 29, 2009

TTC- The journey begins again! :)

So, today was the long time coming Doctor's appointment with my new Ob/Gyn. I went under the guise of 'needing my annual' (which I did) so that insurance would pay for it, but also was really hoping to walk away with prescriptions for the Provera and Clomid that I need to get pregnant again :) It was a successful visit!

Dr. Quimby is great, I really liked her. All my friends raved about her and it sounded like she would have the warm personality that I really appreciate in a physician, and I gotta say, she was awesome! She seemed to really get me and understand what I was saying without me really having to explain myself much. I always feel like I have to explain me having PCOS and that I am working on my weight and blah, blah, blah. I just feel so crappy and guilty about being overweight and not all physicians really get how hard it is for PCOS'ers. Dr. Quimby was very cool about it. She said, "Oh, I know hon. Don't worry about it. You are a storer. If you look at a piece of bread you gain weight." Haha, but so true! I've never heard it put that way, "storer". Very appropriate though I think. We also decided to run a blood panel and check for thyroid issues and specific ones that don't show up on the general thyroid test (this was recommended by an RN friend of mine with PCOS), and also check for diabetes. I pray to God I don't have it, but since my bio dad does and me having PCOS, it's very possible. I'm curious about the results.

It was so weird picking up my prescriptions this afternoon because it just all began to feel so real. Eliana has been the only baby on my mind for nearly 2 years and it's just bizarre to think of having another baby. It also has been this 'thing in the future' about going to the dr and TTC (trying to conceive) again, but now it's all a reality. Strange!

So, this is how it works for those who want to know or are going to be facing it themselves:
1. Provera for 10 days (this makes my body think I ovulated and gives me a period, which I don't have on my own).
2. The first day of any spotting/bleeding is called day 1 of my cycle.
3. Days 5-9 of my cycle I take Clomid (makes my body ovulate).
4. Days 13-24ish be intimate often to catch the window of ovulation (I ovulated after day 21 when I got preggo with Eliana, which is considerably late in the cycle).
5. Day 24 have blood draw/Progesterine check (this tells us if I've ovulated on the current dosage of Clomid)
If I ovulated, wait 10 days (I think) and take a pregnancy test.
If I didn't ovulate, start process all over.
I also take 1000mg of Metformin a day (this helps with being a 'storer' and the blood sugar issues).

Fairly simple and not very expensive either. The Clomid was not covered at all by insurance but was available in a generic named Clomiphene. A monthly dose of 100mg was $18.00. Provera as a generic (don't know the name) was less than $4.00. 3 months of Metformin is $10. So, considering we have crappy, high-deductible insurance, that really isn't much for a month of fertility drugs. I was pleasantly surprised!
I will start the Provera most likely tomorrow mid day and we'll see how it goes from there. I am hoping that since I have Eliana to keep me busy, distracted, and happy, that I won't get too stressed out about it all this time. We'll see. I know that God already knows the faces of all my future children and the exact day they'll be conceived. I'm just a little anxious to meet them! :)

I also realized on the way home from the grocery store that I should've bought tampons! I haven't had a period since January 2008, right before I got pregnant with Elly. At the dr's today the nurse checking me in said, "Ok, when was your last period?" and I said, "um, never?" and she said, "oh you're on birth control?" and I said, "no, I just never have a period. I've never had one unless medicine forced it. Like ever in my whole life." Such a weird concept I think for the normal woman who menstrates at least fairly regularly. Lucky me I don't have to worry about the mess of being a woman! But unlucky me I can't get pregnant the old 'it was a surprise' way!

So, here goes to the next phase of life and what it will bring our way. I have so many friends that are also TTC and facing the frustration and pain of it and I so empathize. It's sort of one of those things that you don't realize how many people can't get pregnant easily until you talk about it and go, "wow, there's a lot of people with fertility issues!" So, I'll be keeping this blog fairly updated with it all as I feel up to it, although I told Craig I would not be putting details of 'our time together' in it :) Sorry, this is at least a PG blog, haha.

I talked about it in a previous TTC blog, but the specific fertility issue I have is PolyCysticOvarianSyndrome, known more commonly as PCOS, http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm . For me it means that I have partially formed eggs in my ovaries, on a vaginal ultrasound they appear as non fully formed follicles. I never menstrate without medication to force it, meaning I also never ovulate on my own. I fortunately have not had the cysts that often come with PCOS, but definitely deal with the insulin resistance and infertility issues to name a couple.
TTC with Eliana I started on 50mg of Clomid and ended up conceiving at 150mg.

If you have questions, please ask! After all I've been through I see little point in secrets, so I'm generally an open book :)

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying for you! Your right, God knows!!! That is very comforting, huh!? Reading this was a double sided sowrd for me.... on one side happy I am done with the baby making fase of my life and looking into getting my period to stop coming. On the other side teary eyed because I am done, I will never have that feeling of life being created in me agian (it is such a blessing and a mericale!!) I have 4 beautiful children to raise, adore and love and I thank God every day for giving me that!
    What an addventure and an exciting time for your family! :)
    We should get the girls togeather again soon and visit!
    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete