Tuesday, February 9, 2010

There's a first for everything....

Ok, so maybe TMI, but my cycle did start this morning. This is strange for me because it is literally the first time in my entire life that I've gotten a period without medicine forcing it to happen. It also means that, yes I really did ovulate in January! As we know, ovulation is what causes the menstral bleeding. However, for clarification sake, you can have a period without having a prior ovulation. Some women have an anovulatory cycle and still have the bleeding without ever having ovulated. The opposite is not true though. Typically (of course there are always exceptions), if you ovulate then you WILL have a period. Unless you get pregnant.
I think all the fatigue and weird mood stuff the last few days probably has a lot to do with my body having it's first natural period....at age 26 no less. The nurse said that's a good sign :) I'd like to think that me losing 13lbs in the last month is helping also.
Of course I wish I was pregnant, but I'm also a bit relieved to know what's going on with my body and how crazy I was feeling and to now be able to go on to the next round of Clomid. My Dr wants to keep it at 100mg since that worked for ovulation last month. Normally I would have to take 10 days of Provera to force a period but since mine started on it's own (still think that's so weird!) we get to go straight to the big guns- Clomid :) So, today is officially Cycle Day 1 and Clomid begins on CD 5. Here we go again!

I've decided to try basal temperature charting this month. A friend (thanks Mariena!) got me thinking about it again so I found this awesome website that makes it a breeze. You input all your info and it creates a chart for you and will tell you when you've ovulated based on your basal temp (usually taken first thing in the morning before you get out of bed). Or it can just create a calendar for you based on cycle length with an estimate of your 'fertile window'. FYI- Your fertile window is generally considered your ovulatory day and the 3-4 days prior to that. Semen can live for several days but your egg can only live for 12-24 hours and maybe even less. What I've been finding says that most pregnancies occur from intercourse within the 2 days prior to ovulation. You can also print out the chart if you need to take it to your dr. You can track weight, dr's appointments, pregnancy tests, intercourse, symptoms, etc. It seems very cool. Check out http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ . Also a good tool if you want to use natural family planning rather than birth control. As a new user I am getting little guides sent to my email daily with info on charting. So far I like it. The basic user stuff is free and I'm on a 30 day free trial for the VIP membership ($10 a month otherwise).

Also, sidenote- I'm super moody. I guess this is a normal symptom of a period? haha. Not like I would know I guess. My poor hubby. I bite his head off over nothing. Between the hormonal stuff and a toddler that is STILL not sleeping I just can't even summon the energy to sound happy when he calls :(
Eliana's been sleeping for about 10 minutes, let's see if I can take a 15 minute shower without her waking up.....

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on a "natural" cycle- or as close to one as ladies like us get :) Good luck moving forward with the next phase, I'll be praying for you! Keep in mind, though, that PCOS can cause irregular basal temps- known as "Rocky Mountain" temperatures. So if after a few days of recording temps, they look erratic, don't freak out, it's just another lovely side effect of our dear old hormonal gal pal for life PCOS. It can help to take basal temps vaginally, but the method has to be consistent throughout the cycle. Yeehaw! Anyway, glad to hear things are moving along, God is good! xo Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amused that you prioritized blogging higher then showering ;-) (says the mommy who chose napping with her newborn instead of showering)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true about the weird basal temps. I tried it for a few weeks a few years ago and gave up. My chart was psycho, nothing like my friend's charts. So, we'll see. It would be great to pinpoint fertility a little closer than a 2 week window, but that might just be life for us PCOS'ers. And I'm sure the Clomid hot flashes won't help! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Mariena! Such is the life of motherhood, right? haha

    ReplyDelete