Monday, April 12, 2010

A vacation? Finally!

Hey everyone,
Hope you all had a fabulous weekend! I joined Newlife Church's worship team again after it'd been almost a year (took time off with my nursing baby). It was great to be a part of the team and I am always tremendously blessed by the extreme talent and giftedness of people who love God and use their gifts to serve Him. That is one of the things I really love about our church. Music is so huge to me as I've been singing since before I could ride a bike, so naturally it's one of the more important things to me in the structure of a church service (if that makes sense). The Newlife musicians really have freedom to be artistic and experiment, like how we used the music pattern from Sara Bareilles "Love Song" but sang "Unchanging" by Chris Tomlin to it. Awesome! Anywho, I'm blessed to be singing with such a great team :)
I will now shamelessly plug the family of believers I love: http://www.newlifekitsap.com/ .

I must also say that Craig did wonderful having Eliana for 7 straight hours without me. I didn't worry about her at all. He got her up, made her breakfast, got her dressed for church, brought her to church, put her in the nursery, took her home and fed her lunch, and put her down for a nap. Yay! I feel confident that I can sing with the team once a month and she'll have fun with daddy while I'm gone. She didn't even seem to miss me much which was sort of sad but overall great since she loves her daddy so much.

Ok, change of subject- perhaps literary whiplash- sorry! Last Thursday, as in 4 days ago, we were invited to go to Mazatlan, Mexico with some of my family. Ummm...do you all remember my complaining about not having a vacation in 4 years???? Well of course I couldn't pass up this opportunity! It's a beautiful resort (Torres) and all we had to do was figure out our flights. I waited a day nervous as all get out while Craig talked to his boss......did I mention the trip starts May 1st?!!!! Craig was graciously given 1 week to join the family (Elly and I will go for 2 weeks) despite the fact that May is a crazy busy month for TRC. I'm so thankful he can go. Being that it's been so long since our last vaca I couldn't really fathom going somewhere beautiful with only half of my family. And in practical terms I'm grateful to have his help with Elly on the plane and hauling everything in the airport. This will be Eliana's first flight :)
On Friday I decided to call and check what documentation is needed for an 18 month old (thinking a birth certificate would suffice)....and guess what, you need a friggin' passport! OMG This caused a sort of panic in my whole being. I can't go to the main office in Seattle until we're 14 days or less til take off and it's risky to take it to a local office since the current wait time on expedited applications is 2-3 weeks! After consulting with the passport helpline for a while I decided to make a mad dash (on Friday) to the Clerk in Port Orchard and get it all submitted. However, I found out I needed a notarized approval letter from Craig since he wouldn't be there. It was already 1:30pm and I was thinking "how the heck am I going to get the letter to Craig in Poulsbo, get it notarized, and then drive to Port Orchard and get it all done by 4?" My wonderful hubby had me email him the letter, he got it notarized, and then drove it to me :) All said and done it only took 20 minutes with the Clerk and we got it all sent in. Now begins the praying and waiting! Thank goodness Craig and I still have valid passports.Oh, and did I mention mine expires right after we get home? Craig said that's my sign I'm supposed to go.
As far as the money goes, do we have money for the flights? Basically, no. My mom graciously offered us her companion ticket and the 10k miles she had left. I spent hours looking for the best deal and finally booked our flights. Eliana still flies free, so it turned out ok. We debated going versus not going for a long time and finally decided to just go. We spend SO much money on things we don't want to buy; truck parts, septic pumping and repair, heating oil, medical bills, etc.........we are glad that this is something we actually want to spend money on. God always provides for us and we feel He brought us this opportunity and we're really excited to go. We'll spend money on food down there, but we'd also do that here so it's no different really (and we'll save at least a $100 on gas since we won't be driving our cars).
I also am always happy for opportunities to spend time with my family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc). Life is short and I think it's important to spend time with people you love, making memories.

Hmmm.....what else is going on.......we had an open house on Saturday and it sounds like only 2 people came thru. Bummer. But, I do have an appointment for another showing tomorrow. There is definitely interest and that's great. I know it's all in God's timing and I'm just curious to see what that is! I was reading my new Parents magazine a couple days ago and there was a section where they questioned, "if you could add one room to your house what would it be?" The answer I loved the most was ,"a 2nd bedroom. One day after we signed papers to buy our one bedroom condo we found out we were pregnant (with twins!)." WOW, can you imagine? That made me chuckle and be thankful for my little house that at least has two bedrooms.

It is definitely baby season. Two wonderful friends of mine both had baby girls in the last few days (and are breastfeeding, woohoo!). I also have about 20 other pregnant friends. What a wonderful season for these families :) Nothing new for me to say right now. I am just enjoying my pregnant friends and going to baby showers.

Craig is trying to win a bike through Bicycling Magazine's contest, so I made a [tearful] video for him today and I'll keep you posted how that goes.

Alright, the kiddo (who is 18 months old today!) is in bed and it's time for me to go make dinner and enjoy time with my best friend, Craig.

P.S. I'm a reality tv junkie (not exactly proud of it, just saying) and I just finished Tori Spelling's book sTORI Telling and LOVED it. I'll be getting Mommywood from the library soon.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! BUT I will miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE reading your blog Diana. I feel like I get to spend time with you every week. :)

    I hope to someday transform our blog into a more regular-entry kind of blog.

    On another note I LOVE Tori and Dean. Tori SO reminds me of my best friend Erin and I feel like I get to spend time with her, she lives in Bellingham, every time I watch. I want to read the books too! :) Just makin' you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw,thanks Alex, that is so sweet of you!

    And I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my love of Tori and Dean :) haha

    ReplyDelete