Friday, August 20, 2010

Thought I'd add something cool about homebirths; I was a homebirth!

My older brother was born in a hospital and similar to me my mother did not have a fabulous experience and felt there was a better, more natural way to do things. 2 1/2 years later she delivered me in our little house right outside of Poulsbo. My little sister was delivered almost 10 years later in another little house downtown Poulsbo. My midwife was Therese Charvet who is renowned among midwife circles in Washington and helped found the Seattle Midwifery School.

About Therese Charvet:


Therese Charvet was a founding member and first President of the Midwives Alliance of North America, a founding member and former president of the Midwifery Education Accreditation Council, a member of the Board of Directors for the Midwives Association of Washington State and a delegate to the International Confederation of Midwives.

I was one of her earlier births!
I've been reading The Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent and it's a really interesting book. Peggy has delivered over 3000 babies. Some in hospitals, some in homes, some in cars, on sidewalks, etc! Pretty fascinating, especially about the births in the 50's and 60's. Back then they still used the Twilight Drug on women (and unfortunately this was not Stephenie Meyer's version of Twilight). Can't even imagine being in that time. This is a great article about the history of childbirth- http://wondertime.go.com/learning/article/childbirth-pain-relief.html .

Also found this about Cesarean rates in Washington-
CESAREAN SECTIONS IN WASHINGTON STATE: TRENDS AND GEOGRAPHIC VARIATIONS


The Washington State Department of Health published a report in August 2008 on the staggering increase in c-section rate from 1997 to 2005 (60% in that time period). They also found the Puget Sound Region to have the highest rate in the state. The report notes "women living in the Puget Sound region had 275 (about 10 percent) more C-sections per year than would be expected when compared to women living outside the region. These women were giving birth to a single child and had no prior C-sections or noted risk factors".

The most recent numbers I could find (2008) for Harrison put them at 31% C-Sect rate, but only a 20% complicaton rate. Can't find more recent numbers or their rates for induction. I'm curious though!

No comments:

Post a Comment