Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Prenatal Supplements

Thought I'd post real quick what I'm taking supplement-wise during my pregnancy. Please consult your caregiver for what you specifically should be taking.
As a patient of an OB I was instructed just to take a prenatal. As a client of a midwife I have learned there is a lot I can do naturally to help my body.

Nature Made Prenatal Multi +DHA: 1 a day liquid softgel
Available at Costco, it's nice because you only take one a day and it's a softgel.

Kirkland Signature Vitamin D3 2000IU: 2 softgels daily
There is a lot of research available about Vit D's importance to our immune system, this is one great article, http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller27.html . It is recommended to take 4000 IU daily.

Carlson 100% Norwegian Cod Liver Oil 1000mg: 1 daily
For skin and heart health

Country Life Calcium 500mg-Magnesium500mg-Potassium99mg: 2 daily
I am taking this to help prevent high blood pressure and preeclampsia. FYI, if you do develop Pre-E, guess what they put in your IV........magnesium :) I'd rather take it preventatively personally.

Nature's Way Evening Primrose Oil 1300mg: 2 daily
Does a host of wonders for the female body. Excellent for Trying to Conceive. EPO contains a wonderful prostaglandin and helps prepare the body (specifically your cervix) for labor. Also can be used vaginally after 36 weeks to soften the cervix and any scar tissue, http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/epo.html . It is recommended to take 2400mg daily orally after 34 weeks of pregnancy. Highly recommended for women with PCOS.

Rasberry Leaf Tea
Can be taken your whole pregnancy. Is said to help prepare your uterus for labor and help induce labor in a 'ready' uterus and baby.
I buy most of my supplements at Super Supplements.

1 comment:

  1. sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete