Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Two weeks old

My little Evangeline is 2 weeks old today. The last two weeks seriously feel like we've been living in a bubble and that somehow we have lost the time. Other than the grocery store 2x,  Dr's 1x,Costco 1x, and church 1x, we have not gone anywhere. Not going anywhere means we aren't spending money so that's nice and it also means we're keeping Evangeline's exposure to all the nasty winter germs at a minimum- but it is a bit strange to go from busyness and being able to pretty much go anywhere at nearly anytime to being home so much.

I'm realizing how much easier a 2 year old is than a newborn. Eliana tells me when she needs something and is relatively self-sufficient. Then comes a new baby who literally can't do anything without me and can only cry to show her needs. Yes, the 2 year old is definitely easier! I'm also thinking that in our brilliant plan to space all our children 2 years apart we may have underestimated how much work it is having a 2 year old and a newborn at the same time. Perhaps our other children will be spaced more like 2 1/2 years apart! Or we'll adjust to this newness and in a year forget how hard it was and start all over :)

Evangeline had her first bath last night and she liked it for the most part. Granted her first bath was technically when she was born....I've been wanting to write more about the birth and some details and all that but have been having a hard time finding enough time that I can type with 2 hands without someone needing me. Eventually!

Nursing is getting easier. The periods where it would take 30min to 1 1/2 hours for her to latch are happening less and less frequently. She is learning and so am I. I have not used a nipple shield once as of yet, which is really awesome. Just goes to show that with proper support and time even someone with flat nips can nurse. It would've been so nice to nurse shield free with Eliana, but at least I can with Evangeline. Sometimes it seems like she can't get the nipple out enough and just gets frustrated, so then I pump an ounce and it seems to get things out enough for her to do her business. I will feel more confident going out places once she is able to latch all the time without me needing to pump. It's nervewracking to think of being gone from home and her not being able to latch. I know I can bring the pump, but that's a pain in the butt. I already have my hands really full with all our 'stuff' just between the 2 girls and me. My girlfriends who have similar anatomy and used shields with firstborns said this is normal with the 2nd and to give it a little more time and latching will be a cinch.

Eliana has been adjusting really well. She is more sensitive for sure and has been crying more than I would like. She's also been watching more tv than is healthy for a 2 year old, but I'm doing what I can right now to function and it won't always be like this. I always put her down for nap and bedtime so I can snuggle her, pray with her, and sing her bedtime song, "Bible and me" as she calls it :) Actually it's Jesus Loves Me. This time of year is a little tough because we're kind of stuck indoors and that leaves limited things for us to do. We color A LOT, and read lots of books.

My goals today- take a shower and figure out something for dinner!

1 comment: