Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Watermelon Boobs :)

My dear Evangeline is 3 weeks old today. Yesterday at the pediatrician's office she was 10lb 14oz and 22 1/4 inches. She is in the 90-95% for pretty much everything, same as she was at birth. She is my chubby cherub! She's gained 2.5oz a day for the last 10 days which is amazing.

How are we doing? My basic answer is 'pretty good'. Honestly it depends on the time of the day and the particular day you ask me :) Every day is a new day and every day is totally unpredictable with a newborn. The two year old? Pretty much predictable. Goes to sleep at the same time, gets up at the same time, naps at the same times, eats her meals no prob, can tell me what she needs. The 3 week old on the other hand keeps us on our toes. She is growing so quickly and her needs are constantly evolving. Some nights are so rough that I want to hole up during the day and can't bring myself to go anywhere or talk to anyone. I just feel antisocial at times.

Friday and Saturday night were very rough to say the least. She cried for hours. Craig and I took turns rocking, rubbing her belly, pumping her legs, etc. She seemed to be in SO much pain. By the time morning came I was still exhausted and hadn't really gotten any sleep. When it happened a 2nd night I started worrying that history was repeating itself (Elly's horrible colic and GERD). But, then came Sunday night and she did much better. Last night she hardly cried at all, but she also didn't really want to sleep. There were two 1 1/2 hour chunks that she was wide awake. Of course I just wanted to be sleeping! I'm thinking we'll give swaddling a firmer go and see if that helps keep her sleepy at night. Part of the problem is that she seems to like to poo at night which keeps her and me up.  I've been thinking that maybe a meal I had with garlic was to blame for the rough couple of nights we had. Now I'm a little nervous about what if I eat something that bothers her, but it's trial and error.

Breastfeeding is getting much easier. She latches pretty much right away now. The problem now is that my flow is so forceful and fast. I have huge boobs and tons of milk and she ends up choking or gagging and honestly seems a little nervous to latch on like she knows the tidal wave is coming soon. Poor girl! I wish my boobs had a knob I could turn to slow it down for her until she's bigger/older. I'm praying she'll learn to keep up with it and that my milk supply will regulate itself here soon. I block nursed Eliana because of my huge milk supply and I'm doing it this time as well. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html . I didn't even know that's what I was doing until yesterday when a friend recommended it and I Googled it and sure enough I'm already doing it- yay me! :)

As far as oversupply goes, here's a few things to keep in mind- if you pump to relieve the fullness you will actually cause even MORE fullness over time. Remember boobs work on a supply and demand schedule, so pumping counts as demand, meaning your boobs will supply more. So, learning to deal with the fullness in ways other than pumping may be more advantageous for you. For those with undersupply, go ahead and pump, but never in place of your baby actually nursing for itself. The other thing is that oversupply does tend to even out over time. The first few weeks of new milk your boobs are working like crazy and your hormones are going crazy. Eventually they work more in sync with your baby and the oversupply issue should resolve itself a bit. Your baby also gets used to it and learns to work with it.

Breastfeeding with ginormous watermelon boobs has it's own set of frustrations. For one thing it's almost impossible to nurse one handed. Can you even imagine how much a size H boob full of milk weighs? A TON. One hand is needed to support the breast and the other is holding/supporting the baby. It's a two hand job. You might be thinking, "well I'm a DD and I can make it work." Trust me, there is a HUGE difference between a DD, even a DDD and an H. Two hands are needed most of the time. Another frustration is modesty. It's trickier with a huge boob to not give a show when out in public simply because there's a lot more to hide. It's harder to be discreet when there's so much to cover. And then of course the oversupply is frustrating because of all the pain it causes to baby. Although I suppose large breasts are not synonymous with oversupply in every case, just for me.

As far as PCOS and breastfeeding, usually women with PCOS have supply issues and need to take fenugreek or pump or do something. But I know for myself and also a girlfriend with PCOS and boobs the same size as mine we both deal with oversupply. I guess we should be grateful for the extra milk! These honkers are heavy though, so trust me when I say I'm fully planning on getting these 'taken care of' in another decade or so when I'm done nursing babies. Breastfeeding after a reduction could be a whole different blog, but the reality is there's no complete way to know if you'll be able to breastfeed after a reduction without trying it and I personally don't want to risk losing the ability to nurse. I'd rather wait and do the surgery later.
What I have heard is that if the nipple is completely removed during surgery and then put back on that it typically makes it impossible to nurse later. It makes me a little jealous that someone can go get implants and nurse no problem but if you want to reduce your boobs you risk losing the ability to nurse. Not fair.

For the sake of Google and other moms coming across this blog looking for breastfeeding help and frankly, "where do I buy bras when my boobs are a 40H???" I'm going to plug my favorite nursing  bra- Anita http://www.lindasonline.com/anita-5035-maternity-underwired-nursing-bra.html . It's fabulous! I wouldn't recommend sleeping in an underwire bra because of the risk of plugged ducts, so only use it during the day. I have a couple cotton sleep nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity that I use at night time.

This blog is poorly written and all over the place.....my brain is seriously sleep deprived!

So, until next time, have a Merry Christmas. It's about God's great love for us and that He sent Jesus to take our place and redeem us. Remember the Redeemer and His unfailing love for you as celebrate the season.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great post! And for the best reminder at the end. I'm very, very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di this post was very well written! I think you're functioning better than you must feel :) The good news is little Evie is almost one month so hopefully a pattern will start to emerge in the next couple weeks. Merry Christmas love!

    ReplyDelete