Saturday, May 7, 2011

The price of being a one income family

Sometimes there is a price to being a one income family. Today is the kind of day we feel that price.

We have an '01 Durango with two rows. You would think it could hold 5 people, but once you put two carseats in the backseat, good luck. My sister can fit in between the carseats but she is long and lean with narrow hips. I definitely can't fit back there and neither can my mom or Craig.

With Jacob being here we have been borrowing my parent's 1988 Suburban. I learned to drive in it and although it's missing luxuries like key FOB's and a cd player, it works...Well sort of. It was always very reliable 15 years ago when my parents drove it all the time. But for us it has been unreliable. It'll start but then not stay running. 1 1/2 weeks ago I was actually driving it when it stopped working. I was going 25 mph and had to pull it off to the side of the road quickly. And I was by myself with 3 kids. Not a good feeling.

Last weekend we had a get together to be at, the weekend before that was when Jacob flew in and then I was in the Easter production at church all day and the weekend before that I was crazy busy putting on the Moms and More Rummage Sale. And the weekend before that? Yup, Craig worked the WHOLE weekend. I was looking forward to and dreaming of this weekend for the whole last month. We woke up and the sun was shining and we got all ready to go to the Poulsbo Farmer's Market. We were loaded up in the car at 10:10am. Yay! BUT, the car wouldn't stay running. Craig would get it going and within 5 seconds it would die. This happened over and over. He went and bought a new distributor cap and rotor but that didn't fix it. 2 hours later I told him to please just take a break and spend time with his kids that he hardly sees. Such a frustrating day. It's just been one thing after another lately, you know lots of little things that all combined make you want to crawl in bed and just cry. But I have a  breastfeeding 5 month old and potty training 2 year old. No crawling in bed and crying for this mama!

At this point we are stranded at home. And no that's not the end of the world as this is a great house and we have a big yard. I just haven't left this house since last Monday (seriously) and I was really looking forward to getting out of the house and going to the Farmer's Market.

This is the cost of being a single income family. We can't afford to just go buy another car that will fit all of us. I see a lot of my working mom friends driving around in new or almost brand new cars, but we can't do that. I wouldn't trade the car situation for being home- definitely not- but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating sometimes. Craig's truck is paid for, we paid cash for it back when I was working. The Durango has a loan and we owe too much on it to do anything. Liberty Bay Auto offered a Kia Minivan with an almost $400 monthly payment. Uh, NO.

And it's true that we're only going to be squished and tight for another 6 weeks, but what happens when we want to have another baby? I will just have to take it one day at a time and trust God to provide a vehicle when He provides a baby.

I will find a way to get over this helpless feeling today and we'll try to make the best of our day! Right?

And Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. You can always call my husband so Craig can have a break and not waste money throwing parts at it. Cause if Colin puts in a part and it doesn't fix the problem you do not get charged. Let us help you sometime :) I help friends that need help. I wish you would have called me. I know Craig is a mechanic but this way he could have been with you guys. Please don't hesitate. :)-Jennifer Shaughnessy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hon. With the Suburban not being ours, it doesn't seem worth it to spend hours and hours and our money to fix it. Whatever is wrong with it didn't start just cuz we have driven it a few times in the last 10 days. At this point it'll just be sitting in our driveway and hopefully my dad can fix it enough to get it back in storage. Of course my mom says, "well it always worked fine for us." Yeah, well, all I can is it's not working fine for us and there's nothing we did to break it.

    Thank you Jen, I appreciate your support and willingness to help us :)

    ReplyDelete