Saturday, July 23, 2011

B-Day

Today is my 28th birthday. 28 years ago I was born at home with a midwife :)

My mom had Eliana and Jacob over last night for a Grammy slumber party and they stayed all day today, too. Craig and I met them there around 5 and we all did dinner together, too.

Last night Craig and I got takeout Thai (my fave- Aroy Dy) and had a drink or two. Ok, I had like one and he might've had two. lol. Lambic Raspberry Framboise is so yummy. I very rarely have it, maybe once a year, but I really like it :) My parents gave us a birthday gift of cash-ola that paid for the meal and the drinks. Bonus!

Today we walked around downtown, got a donut from Sluys' Bakery, went to the Poulsbo Farmer's Market, went to TJ Maxx, and I got a pedicure! Woop woop! Perhaps the first one since the week of my wedding? I might've had one or two since then, but it's definitely been ages. At least since before I got pregnant with either of my girls which would be Feb 2008. Also, I didn't have to pay for this pedicure....how, you ask? Well, several months ago I was having a VERY bad day. Evie was screaming for no apparent reason, for most of the day. She didn't want to eat, didn't want to sleep, it was rough. And at that point Eliana was still adjusting to a new sibling and all I heard was , "uppy mommy!!!" all day long. I had a meeting in Poulsbo that day where Evie screamed the whole time and then later that day she screamed the whole way home to Bremerton. I cried that entire 30 minute car ride. I remember feeling so overwhelmed and so insignificant. Just like I am always taking care of everyone else and I needed two minutes to breathe. We were also in the throws of a failing septic, needing to but unable to move, and waiting to get Evie on our insurance due to paperwork snafus after her birth (not on our part). It was too much going on and all out of my control. I walked in the door of our house that night with a tired 2 year old and screaming 3 month old, feeling totally defeated. I didn't even want to say hi to Craig, all I could do was cry. And then Craig hands me the mail. It was a card from a childhood friend whom I've reconnected with on Facebook. We both have babies, we both advocate breastfeeding, we both blog, we're both super smart women (hehe!). Her card talked about how hard I work and that she is blessed by me and my blog and that she wanted me to do something nice for ME. Hair, nails, whatever, and she included a generous gift card. I was blown away and stood there crying even harder. God knew exactly what I needed in that moment. I felt like He was saying, "I see you Diana. I know some days are hard and things have been hard especially today, but I do see you." I felt so validated and extremely grateful. God really used Mariena to speak to me. Thank you for being His voice, sweet friend! So, that is how I got my nails done today and hair last week. Amazing, right?

Tonight we bbq'd at my mom's house and now I'm home, on the couch, needing to stuff and fold about 25 diapers, practice the songs for worship tomorrow (yes, I'm singing after an almost 10 month worship team hiatus), and get sleep soon since I have to be up around 6am. Which is sort of a bummer because my sweet friend, Hollie, just had her son today and I really want to meet him!
Alright, off to do the above said chores :)

2 comments:

  1. Bless you dear daughter. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! 28 years ago I was in MY house holding you right now awestruck again at the miracle of birth and immensely satisfied from having you at home. So peaceful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday my dear. You are so beautiful and I'm so glad you have been able to get your hair cut and toesies painted. :D I'm so glad I was able to bless you and be a part of your birthday!

    ReplyDelete