Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Living at the Dr's lately...

This past week has been a blur of not sleeping and dr's appointments. Seriously! Evangeline got another ear infection and that meant her up all night and instead of not napping and still being happy, she didn't nap and was NOT happy. It was a really rough several days. She is on the mend now I think and finally sleeping at night a bit better. She still takes 20-40 minutes at night to settle down, which stinks because that means tears. I don't want her to go to sleep crying, but the alternative is that I continue to hold her until 11pm when she is in a very deep sleep. I was going crazy doing that. I was chained to the couch and started feeling like I was imprisoned. I did that for 8 months and I think that is admirable. And enough. Quite enough! Now she goes in her crib at about 7pm and wakes up to eat around 5:30am. Usually I can get her to sleep a couple more hours after she nurses. So while she doesn't nap, at least she's getting almost 12 hours at night. Now if I only I was!

With Eliana and Evangeline having such frequent ear infections, we are at the Dr.'s a lot. A lot is an understatement really. I am also trying to get Jacob caught up on Dr.'s appointments and that is taking a lot of my time; pediatrician, dentist, ophthalmologist, etc. He gets glasses now as we discovered he's not seeing well out of his right eye. As far as he could remember, he'd never been to an eye doctor. The things that make you go "hmmmm.........." Poor kid.

I took Eliana to an Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon today. She's had persistent fluid in her ears for at least the past 6 months. The problem with fluid sitting in there long term is it can greatly affect speech and also can deteriorate the ear canal. The surgeon put it this way, "she's got a lot of fluid in her ears. The fluid is causing about a 20% reduction in hearing. Between 18 months and 3 years is their most important and formative time for language and speech development. She might already be set back a year or so from her hearing problems and we need to fix it now. The fluid in her ears is not infected which is why none of the antibiotics could take care of the issue. This is a plumbing problem. Her ears accumulate fluid and because of the shape of her inner ear pieces, there is no where for the fluid to go. Tubes will help this. It's a 5 minute surgery and she should playing normally by the afternoon."
So, there you have it! She goes in for surgery on the 22nd. I'm nervous for her and feel a bit of anxiety as her mother because any kind of surgery has risks, but the key here is that her speech is important and I don't want her to have long term hearing loss like her dad. Also, I am very validated in this: I feel like I have to repeat myself A LOT to her. And not that she's being a snot and just ignoring me, but like she honestly can't hear me. The surgeon said she absolutely isn't hearing me and I'm not crazy! lol. And poor Eliana....living within a bubble of limited sound is not fair to her either.

Jacob is continuing to learn and thrive here. His pediatrician said she can see just looking at him how at home and happy he is here and how much he's changed in the last few months. She said she can tell he's come out of his shell and really feels safe and secure and she's happy for him. Not to mention he's trimmed up a bit and is looking much healthier. We can't really picture our life before he came here and we're so blessed to have him in our family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment