Saturday, August 13, 2011

Our new adventure!

This fall has a new adventure waiting for the Frazier Family: The Frazier Farmhouse School! Yup, that's right, we're homeschooling Jacob.
He started asking almost 2 months ago about it. I told him no right off the bat. I said I didn't think it was a good idea, his mom might say no anyway, and it seemed like too much to take on. He was bummed but said ok. Then he kept asking. Every few days. My thinking since Jacob has gotten here is that anytime something is really important to him I will at the very least pray, think about it, and see what I can do to make it work. So, obviously homeschooling was important to him. When I asked why he wanted to he said, "I'm not really sure. I've wanted to for like 3 years though. I just think it'll be a good experience and the best for my education." lol! Then we were having dinner one night and Jacob brought it up again and Craig said, "You just want to because your best friends are gonna homeschool this year." I then shot him the look of death. I hadn't told Jacob yet that his friends were going to homeschool! Whoops! Jacob said, "what? They are?" Totally in shock and feeling sad that he wouldn't be in school with them. At least I know that his decision to want to homeschool is not based on his buddies. Them homeschooling will just be a bonus for him :) Especially on snow days. The Farm is going to be a friggin winter wonderland!
His mom was actually really cool about things. She said as long as he is actually doing the necessary work and learning, she would leave the decision to Craig and me. I thought, "wow, didn't expect that!" But, things have definitely been much better between all of us in the last 4 months.

Alright, so lots of researching (as is my way), which took about a month, and I have figured out curriculum for the most part. I still need to break down the year into how many pages of which subject on which day and what subjects we'll do on certain days and what field trips we'll do, etc. The real work is ahead of me, but homeschooling gives you so much flexibility. I personally am not a fan of 'unschooling'. I believe it's important to learn math, English, history, science, geography, language, etc. On the other hand though, I don't just want to bring the public school into our home. Part of the point of homeschooling is that you can teach the subjects how you want and when you want to. If I want Craig to do sex-ed with Jake on the weekends or a weeknight- we can. If we want to go outside in the snow and learn about and study snowflakes and different kinds of clouds for an hour as science for that day- we can!

Jacob has already learned so  much in the time he's been here. I learned a week ago that he had no idea what Christmas was really about or why it's called "Christ"mas. He didn't understand why dates have an AD or BC after them. He didn't know about "i before e except after c". We've had some very teachable moments! He's also writing a book and that is wonderful. He's using his creativity and it will provide a lot of opportunity to talk about sentence structure, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. For now I'm just letting him write and have fun. We'll get down to the nitty gritty later :)

Last night we had a bonfire and roasted hot dogs and made s'mores and we talked about the moon (which was full and gorgeous) and how you find the radius, circumference, etc. We chatted about Pi vs Pie :) and all sorts of things. Life is one big learning adventure and I feel it's important that learning takes place as the opportunities present themselves and not just in a classroom for X amount of minutes. I feel it's important that a child be educated enough that they can attend any college they want to, if they choose to. I also feel it's important for kids to do hands on things; make food, work on cars, help in the garden, color/create, etc.

We found a hutch on Craigslist last weekend that retails for over $430 and we got it for $50 :) My mom is lending us tons of books from when I was a kid. Cool learning stuff about history, geography, economics, and The Backyard Scientist. Jake is having a blast reading all the fun books like Doctor Dolittle and The  Boxcar Children. It's fun for me to have these books in my home because I seriously read ALL of them as a kid.

So, here's to our new adventure. We're gonna take it one week at a time and see how it goes. We'll be starting about the same time the local school district does.

Pics from last night's bonfire :

Craig's giving the stink-eye here, lol

The fire pit! Craig made it out of an old chimney-thing we got at a yard sale :) And of course, the hose on stand-by for safety.


Just chillin'

Handsome! My hubs of 6 years :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to do this year with you all!!!

    ReplyDelete