Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend



We found some pretty good deals at Goodwill this weekend! Canning jars (.20 each!), brand spankin' new Sanita clogs all silver and pretty and $100 on Zappos.com.....
 also Gap and Gymboree kid's clothes, Columbia men's clothes, and adorable Halloween costumes.
 We also scored finding Jacob a camo Carhartt jacket for $15. That will be awesome this fall and winter here on the Farm. We thought we'd accidentally taken crazy pills and then travelled to another universe today as Goodwill was extremely busy and LOUD and just generally felt like a circus. Or maybe like we were the chimpanzees on exhibit at the zoo. But we braved it and found some good deals. I'm still recovering.

We spent the early evening hanging out in the yard and picking blackberries.
This is my dear, sweet Eliana (almost 3 years old) riding her Tractor in TWO tu-tu's! She is amazing and daily cracks me up.

I made my 28th blackberry pie (not really, but probably getting close) and I think this might've been the best one yet! I changed a few recipes to make this one MINE :)



Diana's Blackberry Pie:


Ingredients

  • 5 cups fresh blackberries
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
  • Pastry for the top and bottom of a 10"pie
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 cup white sugar

Directions

  1. Combine 5 cups berries with the sugar and tapioca. Mix well, but gently as to not break the berries. Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell.  Drop pieces of the 2 Tbsp butter on top of the berry filling. Place the top pie shell. Seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
  2. Bake at 425 degree F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 25 minutes.

Yum! So good and delicious with plain vanilla ice cream. Enjoy :)

I also scored some fabric remnants at a friend's yard sale today, so I now must officially put "relearn how to sew with a sewing machine" on my to-do list. My MIL gave me her sewing machine :) I'm dreaming of shabby chic, adorable outfits....think Matilda Jane Clothing-ish. We'll see.....You know, because I really need more things to cram into my days! lol

Saturday night Craig and I had a date night :) Much needed as it had been almost 2 months since the last time out without 3 kids. This was also our first time out without Evie since her birth 9 months ago. We also went on our first  post-baby alone date 9 months after Eliana was born. Oh the magical 9th month....must be something about them finally sleeping well enough without needing to be nursed all the time. So, how'd we get out of the house kid-free? Well, my mom and sister came over to keep Jacob company. My mom put Eliana down to sleep. I put Evie to bed but she woke up crying and needed to be rocked by my mom after we left. We're very lucky to have family so close and to have family that we 100% trust and whom our children adore.

We went to The Loft in Poulsbo for dinner. It was ok, to be honest. I kept wishing I could've gone back in the kitchen and showed them some things. $13 hamburgers should be big, juicy, make your mouth water, and make you dream of when you can have it again. The Oahu Burger seriously fell short.  It was small (for costing so much), very non-juicy, and I'm not at all dreaming of having it again. We split the burger and also an order of the Cod Fish-n-Chips. The Cod was beer battered and had good flavor, but again, not a large portion and the 'chips' (house made fries) were soggy. The color of the french fries was quite dark and the flavor was not burned, but not right.  I guessed that maybe the fryer oil needed to be changed. The biggest bummer was the calamari appetizer. It was a plate covered about 1/5 (maybe) with calamari. It was the smallest portion of calamari I'd ever seen! The garlic aioli sauce was good, but it really wasn't worth $11 when you get maybe 2 little squid. We also had two beverages and neither one was ever refilled. The good: Beautiful view of the marina and sunset. Kind hostess and waitstaff. Pretty, beachy decor.
I suppose I just felt that The Loft simply fell short of it's potential. Beautiful restaurant, beautiful views, and yet the food wasn't up to par. If they could get their food to be like it is at The Yacht Club Broiler or The Boatshed, it'd be perfect. As a customer, you should feel like you get your money's worth. A $13 burger should be worth the $13. Right?

After dinner we went and saw The Help. It was such a good movie. We laughed, we cried, and we awkwardly listened to the lady SOBBING behind us. LOL! I read the book before going and as is fairly normal the movie didn't compare to the book. A LOT was left out and some little and big details were changed. Like Hilly, in the book she is described as being a bit on the chubby side. In the movie she's thin. That's a small detail, but it's all a part of Hilly's character. I think the movie as a stand-alone is fantastic. I was only a tad disappointed because I'd read the book first and the book was so darn good.
It was a great date night, even though dinner wasn't great, my company was :) 


1 comment:

  1. Interesting on the pie - I've found that using the tapioca on my pies instead of the flour has made them so good!

    Gee...we think alike!! Surprise!

    ReplyDelete