Saturday, September 1, 2012

Surgery it is!



These are my ovaries. The right one is full of large cysts. The left one has a large dermoid tumor, which can be seen as the solid 'mass' in the above pictures next to the red writing. I have surgery to remove the cysts and tumor on Tuesday, September 4th at 11:30am. I hope to feel somewhat normal again after the surgery....it's been a while. I currently have 17cm of ovaries and after the surgery should have more like 6-8cm.


PS. Ovaries are where your body grows the eggs that meet with sperm to create a baby. Babies do not form in the ovaries, they form in the uterus. Every girl is born with all the eggs she'll ever have, but not full size eggs. They are follicles that will become eggs once she starts menstruating. For women with PCOS those follicles often never become eggs unless stimulated by progesterone, Clomid, Femara, etc. Which is also why many PCOS'ers don't have regular periods. If you're like me (luckily, few are) then you have severe PCOS and NEVER have a period. 

Dermoid tumors are not the result of PCOS. It's an unfortunate fluke that I have PCOS and the tumor. The ovaries are a strange breeding ground for growth. A cell can decide it doesn't feel like being an egg and choose to be muscle or teeth or hair.....and so it goes and grows and becomes a dermoid tumor. Dermoids are a hard mass, they don't have any 'give', which is why if intimacy is painful for you it's well worth it to talk to a doctor and make sure you don't have an issue like this happening.

I asked my doctor to either let me see the tumor or to take a picture of it. I'm curious what exactly it is, but don't plan on sharing it here. If you want to see Ovarian Dermoid Tumors, feel free to Google them....but have a puke bucket handy.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment