Thursday, November 8, 2012

Facebook....friend and enemy

A couple days ago I reached this weird place of feeling like every time I got on Facebook I was hurt by something. Someone's thoughtless comment, someone's purposeful 'blocking' or ignoring a message from me....you know, things we all deal with on a regular basis probably, but I just didn't want to handle it anymore. So I made the 45 second decision to deactivate my Facebook account. I can go back to it at anytime, but I have not been on my FB since Monday morning. My husband's FB is now linked to my business page so I can keep it up and running, but that's about all.

It's been really nice. I feel like life immediately got slower, more peaceful, less drama-filled. Some people might think I unfriended them when they can't find me on FB and for that I'm sorry. But this was about me and me needing to set a healthy boundary. Sometimes the easiest way to deal with passive aggressive people is to just walk away. For the FB world, that meant me stepping away for a time. I don't know if that time is a  week or 30 weeks, it's just one day at a time as I take care of me.

I already notice I listen to my kids more. I'm more aware of the things that need to be done in my house and I'm starting to break the mental pattern of 'taking a picture to post on FB' or thinking 'oh that would be a good status update'. Facebook so easily becomes a huge part of our thoughts and lives, even if we tell ourselves we're hardly on it and only quickly check it here and there. How often do we go to Facebook before we've gone to God? Does Facebook act like a buffer between us and real, genuine relationships?

There are a lot of people that are really positive in my life and on my Facebook. And others that live far away and I love being able to stay in touch and aware of your life and your kids and such. Facebook is great for that stuff.

So, I'm on a breather, and enjoying the space :) I hope I see you all at the Bazaar this weekend!
~Diana


2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this so much. Facebook has sadly become more of a source for drama than for connection and relationship. Especially with the election season... sheesh. It has been more than I can handle at times!! I'm inspired by your "break" from the madness. I think I am going to be due for one of those sometime soon... in the meantime, I'm celebrating 30 days of Thankfulness and 99.9% of my status updates are simply to say what I'm thankful that day. I hope this might counteract some of the negativity and bring some light into people's facebook lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jessica! I feel deeply I can't possibly be the only one to feel this way and it's good to hear I'm right on that :)

    My awesome pastor called to check on me when he couldn't find me on FB and I said, "you know, I think I come across strong and confident, but I get my feelings hurt just like anyone else. Facebook isn't worth me crying over and that's where I was at." He totally got it and agreed.
    I'd been pondering a break like this for a while and it's been wonderful! Hugs, dear!

    ReplyDelete