Tuesday, September 17, 2013

One Month Update!

My sweet boy is 5 weeks old! He's adorable and despite the colic, we love him so much. He was 12.3lbs at 4 weeks old, so he is growing fast and furious. The baby acne is finally clearing up, too. I have to admit it made me a bit self conscious FOR him. Dumb, I know! Also interesting to note (and will embarrass him in 10 years) is the fact that he came out lactating. All three of my babies have done so. I figured it was pretty common, but the pediatrician had never seen it! This is a little info on it- http://voices.yahoo.com/help-newborn-son-lactating-5640056.html?cat=25. Apparently 5% of babies lactate and my kids have fallen in that category 100% of the time, ha! The baby acne and lactating are both from my hormones in his body and it takes several weeks for them to dissipate.

Solomon's personality is showing in pieces. When he is awake he wants eye contact and chats. If you try to get him to sleep or take a paci when he wants to chat, he gets really mad until you hear him out. He hates to be wet...like if a diaper soaks through his onesie (this kid can pee!) he is quite the drama queen about it. He absolutely adores his sisters. Eliana's voice really captivates him. He always looks her direction and smiles when she talks to him. He also loves the boobies. Often in the evenings he'll pass out nursing but as soon as I try to put it away, BAM he's awake. The boobs are his best friends.

The screaming sessions have overall decreased in the last week. Fri, Sat, and Sun night we managed to get through the entire night with no horrendous screaming sessions....the first break I'd had in an entire month. Last night was rough from 4am-5am, but that's still an improvement from 2-3 hours of middle of the night screaming. He wakes to eat every 2ish hours at night. I really wish he'd give me longer chunks of sleep, but if he wakes, eats, and goes back to sleep without screaming that feels like an accomplishment at this point. We cosleep, so often I wake up to position him on the boob and then fall back to sleep. I try to put the feeders away when he's done, though, otherwise there's a good chance we'll all wake up soaking wet 2 hours later. I've tried to put him in the crib so I can have a little space (or maybe actually get to spoon with the hubs!), but he lasts about 12 minutes before he's screaming again. So, for now he's my little bed buddy. He sleeps in the crook of my arm, almost face to face with me. So chubby and cuddly! I'm really glad I figured out how to nurse laying down. I tried with the girls but couldn't figure it out well enough. They would always choke or latch weird. Not having to sit up in bed every 2 hours definitely makes life easier this time.

Last blog post I wrote that I believed eliminating red sauces/tomatoes from my diet was helping the colic. Well, I think maybe that was just a big fat coincidence. He seems to have good days and horrible days with zero consistency. Dairy, tomatoes, grains, broccoli, chocolate, etc. Like last weekend, the three good nights? I ate ice cream, chocolate, and red sauce over the weekend and then he slept great. Go figure, right? It seems to me that whatever my little guy is struggling with is not related to my diet. My theories? I have milk ejection reflex/overactive letdown and oversupply. He will suck for 3 seconds and then it's as if a Crossfit buff dude put both hands on the boob and squeezed with every ounce of muscle- the milk comes out THAT fast. There's no suck-suck-suck-swallow pattern....poor Solomon is just gulp-gulp-gulp-choke-gulp. I can hear it spraying and the weird noise of it hitting his gut after he swallows. Often I have to pull him off and spray into the burp cloth because it's just too fast for him. The fast flow means it's hard for him to get a deep latch so I think he's taking in air initially and then taking in too much milk too fast. That all happening can cause colic like symptoms in babies. His tummy DOES hurt, it's just not caused by me eating ice cream. It's the freaking firehose he feeds from. The firehose is the reason I don't pump. I haven't pumped once since he was born. The very last thing I need is to tell my boobs to make more.

We are still doing Gerber Sooth Colic Drops (probiotics) and Levsin Drops (Hyosyne). I feel like the Levsin Drops are making the most difference for him. I did try Zantac after a week of screaming so bad I was really desperate. The Zantac made him scream worse, I kid you not. I didn't even know that was possible! I gave it a couple days and then said forget it. We went back to the ped and she said, yeah, stop the Zantac, keep doing the Levsin Drops, and basically hang in there til he outgrows this. He also caught a bug of some sort that caused a raspy cough- worrisome in a one month old. It's in his lungs, so it's called bronchiolitis and we're treating it to prevent pneumonia or other worse bugs that are particularly dangerous for a newborn.

Through all of this I am trying to remember that he is having a hard time, he is not trying to give me a hard time. I know that sounds like a serious DUH since he is so little, but when you haven't slept longer than an hour in a month, you are frayed on every edge. Thinking rationally is very hard to do when you are SO exhausted. Eliana's colic was at least twice this bad, but I didn't have a 4 and 2 year old to raise also. I could sleep during the morning and day when she was calm. I don't have that option now, so it's interesting working to juggle my puzzle pieces so everyone is fed, healthy, and feeling loved. It's been a huge adjustment. Even just the 'dumb' stuff....I miss my cute dresses. I miss doing my hair and putting on makeup. Yeah I can do those things a little, but usually there's a baby in a bouncer screaming while I do it and then I end up having to throw on an outfit that's breastfeeding friendly or won't be ruined when milk sprays all over it. And my cute jeans don't quite fit right yet. Ya know? Just part of life with little kids, but it's a piece of me as a woman that likes fashion and looking pulled together that gets sacrificed in babyland...along with sleep, cuddling next to hubs in bed, having nights out with friends, etc. I'm not saying this as "poor me" in ANY way. I love my little Solomon and the life that comes with having him. I'm saying all of this because I'm not the only mom thinking it and sometimes reading that another mom misses her dresses and heels and lipgloss makes us not feel so awful that we miss it, too. We can realize that it's OK to miss those things. You feeling me?

I also want to/need to get back to eating Paleo. I want to lose the last few lbs of baby weight and lose the other 20-30 I was on my way to losing when I got pregnant. Paleo takes time and thought, though. It's not as simple as feeling hungry and grabbing some Wheat Things from the cupboard. It's proteins and veggies and no processed crap. I need to eat that way, but it honestly feels a little overwhelming taking that on with a colicky newborn and toddlers. It's my future though, I think about it every day. I do NOT want to gain back all the weight I lost. I also know that eating Paleo does wonders for my PCOS.

So anyway, I keep trekking on in Babyland. I sleep when I can, in the pieces he allows me. I'm doing Pre-K schoolwork with Eliana and trying to give the girls attention and validation throughout the day. We haven't quite hit our stride with new baby, but things are typically better each week than the one prior.




He screamed this ENTIRE day. I kid you not. It was enormously frustrating.

All except the three minutes he napped. Yes, 3 minutes....Good thing he is so adorable, right?
I don't have a nice camera...or even a decent camera ($99 Kodak, anyone?) so I took these on the iPad, totally unedited. Not horrible, right? I want an iPhone SO bad for the nice camera!



No comments:

Post a Comment