Cajun Frittata

I made a new recipe tonight, from Central Market's Recipes, and it was a huge hit! As usual, I modified it a little and this is what I did:

Cajun Frittata
Serves 4-6

1 tablespoon butter
1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/4 inch dice (about 2 cups)
2/3 cup sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup apple, cut into 1/4 inch dice
6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (you can also use ham)
6 large eggs, whisked with 1 tablespoon  water until fluffy
2 1/2  teaspoons Cajun seasoning (available in Central Market bulk foods); or your favorite Cajun or Creole seasoning
 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400degrees F. Melt butter in a 10-12inch, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add yam and onion. Cook for about 10 minutes or until yam is almost tender. Add bacon and apple and cook for 5 minutes (at this point my skillet was dry so I added 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil).
Whisk the Cajun seasoning into the eggs, pour over bacon mixture and shake pan to evenly distribute. Sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn oven to broil and cook for about 5 minutes more (watch closely as it can burn quickly), or until bubbly and golden on top. 
Remove from oven and serve.

This recipe turned out beautifully for me, and even served out of the pan easily. I used a stainless steel large skillet and it worked fine in the oven. I served biscuits and jam alongside, for my carb-loving fam.


Delicious, full of flavor, and got the vote of "something mom should definitely make again."





Comments